I have been working on healing myself from Hashimoto’s disease for the past 10 years with a Keto diet. Most recently, I have been working on carnivore diet and it is been working quite a lot. My symptoms have improved and I have experienced other benefits as well. I asked you guys and I get a lot of feedback that sometimes you do cheat and you have a special keto treats whenever you are doing carnivore. A lot of people told me that they have keto diversions from the carnivore plan. So I thought that you will enjoy this keto fathead pizza dough recipe. This Keto fathead pizza is from the legendary creator of Fathead documentary by Tom Naughton.
Have you ever tried fathead pizza crust? Fathead pizza dough is made of mozzarella, cream cheese, eggs and a low carb flour. Do the ingredients of the fathead dough sound a bit strange to you? This lower carb crunchy cheesy crust is so filling and taste like a real pizza dough made with wheat. I am sure this is going to be your new favorite way to make low carb pizza crust.
I have been making my other low carb and keto pizza crust with almond flour and flax seeds for over the years. It used to be on regular rotation at my house. Then there is my another cauliflower pizza crust recipe that got great reviews. But I had so many requests for this keto fathead pizza crust. So if you want to cheat from your carnivore diet with a Keto diet cheat day then try this Keto fathead dough recipe for low carb pizza.
About Keto Fathead Dough Recipe for Low Carb Pizza
This recipe is super simple and easy to make and it is very low carb. So it is great for keto diets. My husband is a huge fan of this recipe. I make this Keto fathead dough recipe almost daily for my husband who loves it. He has been doing Keto for a few months and enjoys this low carb pizza almost every night because it is a versatile Keto fathead dough.
This Keto Fathead Dough Recipe has three major steps that include melting of cheeses, forming the dough with egg and low carb flour and then baking it. I don’t have microwave so I use double boiler method on stove to melt the cheese and cream cheese together instead. So you don’t have to use microwave if you don’t want to. My recipe includes instructions for both.
How to Make Ketogenic Fathead Pizza Crust with Almond Flour or Coconut Flour
It does have a little bit of almond or coconut flour. Whether you make it with almond flour or coconut flour, the process and taste is is very similar. The main difference is in the amount of ingredients (see details in the notes section of the recipe or watch video below). Coconut flour is much easier to digest for me. Almond flour is usually hard to digest for some people with sensitive digestive system. Coconut flour can make you feel little bit bloated but it does not contribute to digestive upset like almond and other nut flours can. In my past experimentation, especially when I was pregnant, I could tolerate some coconut flour. It is up to you whatever version you use. Here I share it both ways.
Watch Video on How to Make Keto Fathead Pizza Dough
Watch below video for the easiest way to learn both versions of this keto fathead pizza dough recipe.
- Parchment paper is key to success with this recipe. If you feel like your dough is too sticky, use parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- If you really want a crispier crust, flip the crust over and bake again for few minutes. This helps the crust hold up really well.
- You can add basil or oregano if you like Italian flavors but it is totally optional. It just gives it a boost of flavor but if you like less plants then leave it off.
Do you want to save your pizza for later?
Bake your fathead pizza crusts as per recipe and stack in the freezer with parchment paper in between them. Whenever you are ready to enjoy the pizza, pull one out, add sauce and toppings to the frozen crust and bake for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees or until the cheese is bubbling.
Keto Fathead Pizza Dough Recipe
This crunchy cheesy Keto Fathead Pizza Dough is so filling and taste like a real pizza dough. You can add any of your favorite pizza toppings to this low carb pizza that your whole family will love.
- 2 tablespoons Tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Basil or Oregano optional
- Shredded Cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mine is a convection so it only does 400 and it takes 25 degrees off. Make sure your oven is heating up while you are preparing your pizza dough.
- Add Mozzarella cheese and cream cheese to microwave safe or oven safe bowl.
Microwave method for melting cheese:
If you are going to use microwave for melting cheese, microwave it for 45 seconds and stir it and then again microwave it for another 45 seconds. I use double boiler as I don't have microwave.
Double Boiler Method for melting cheese:
For double boiler method, fill the bottom of the saucepan with water, boil it and place the shredded mozzarella cheese and cream cheese bowl on top of this pan.
Stir this mixture few minutes until water starts boiling and cheese mix starts to melt. Once it starts to melt, stir it every once in a while, until cheese is completely smooth.
Form the Dough with Flour and Egg
Transfer the cheese to a new bowl. Stir in beaten eggs and coconut flour.
Mix the ingredients with your hands until well incorporated. Knead until a dough forms.
Make sure you have two parchment sheets ready with a cookie sheet, one for the bottom and one for rolling it out.
Move the dough to cookie sheet with the parchment paper on it.
Place second piece of parchment paper on top of dough to cover it and roll out.
Spread the dough to 1/3'' or 1/2'' thickness. You can use your hands, rolling pin (if you have) or even a cup to flatten the dough between two sheets of parchment paper.
- It is not mandatory but if you want, use a fork or a tooth pick to poke holes throughout the crust to prevent bubbling.
Bake the Fathead Pizza
- Bake it for 10 minutes on 425 degrees. I like to put it on the top so that it gets little crispier.
- Take it out after 10 minutes, flip it over and bake again for 2-4 minutes, until golden brown.
- Spread thin layer of tomato paste. Top the pizza with meat of your choice and favorite toppings. Sprinkle oregano now if you want.
- Cover it up with plenty of cheese.
Broil it for 5 minutes.
Slice this up, serve and enjoy.
- See the notes for how to make low carb fathead dough with almond flour.
Almond flour version:
Follow the same instructions above for the almond flour version of the recipe but replace the coconut flour with 3/4 cup almond flour and reduce the number of eggs to just 1 egg.
- Net carbs for the almond flour version: 2g
- Net carbs for the coconut flour version: 1g