My friend Mary has an egg allergy and I probably do too. I wanted to make a breakfast cake that was egg free but still tasty. Let me know what you think of it.
Egg and Grain Free Blueberry Coffee Cake
Updated October 2015
2 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce (where to buy)
1/2 cup chia seeds (where to buy)
1 cup coconut flour (where to buy)
1 teaspoon baking soda (where to buy)
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (where to buy)
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (where to buy)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Line a small baking dish with a strip of parchment paper on the bottom only.
2. Mix the chia seeds and applesauce and let it sit for about 10 minutes, until a gel forms.
3. Mix the coconut flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add the coconut oil and mix well. Then mix in the chia-applesauce gel, sweetener and lemon juice. Add the blueberries and gently combine.
4. Pour the mixture into a baking dish. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the middle is set. For a lower carb version: Use 2 1/2 cups pumpkin puree in place of applesauce and use stevia option instead of honey.
Need some more egg free alternatives?
This new e-book has an excellent chart on how to substitute chia for eggs.
Introducing Awaken: 30 egg free breakfast ideas for paleo and low carb peeps!
Karen is a engineer by day and an awesome cook and photographer by night. She has lost nearly 100 lbs by following a Paleo diet! Way to go Karen!
She told me she feels better without eggs too. She wrote this great book to help others who may want to try an egg elimination or just want to have more variety in their breakfast routines. Some recipes you will find:
- Skillet scrambles with meats and veggies
- Easy no cook strawberry pudding
- Blueberry cobbler
- Bacon twists
- Breakfast pizza
- Pumpkin faux-meal
- Grain free granola
- Breakfast cookies
- Fruity smoothies
- Savory sausages
- Spaghetti squash hash browns
- Strawberry and blueberry crumble
- Apple sauce
- Stuffed mushrooms
- Zucchini soup
- Zucchini stuffed meat boats
- Chocolate smoothies
- Grits (my favorite!)
More reasons I love this book!
She also gives a great chart about how to interchange sweeteners for gaps/paleo and low carb diets. This makes it easy use your choice of sweetener based on your diet. She also has a great chart on measurements for successful egg substitution.
Karen shows us where to source these great ingredients so we can order them from our couch.
She seems to have thought of everything: did I mention the awesome full page photos?
She also includes the nutrition info about each recipe.
Karen offers us ways to easily change up the recipe for more varied options.
She also has great step-by step tutorials for how to make chia eggs, cauliflower rice and more.
If you ask me this book is worth 3 times the price and it is on sale until March 11!
Don’t miss it!
This post is linked to party wave wednesday
10 Keto Diet Mistakes
Avoid these 10 Keto Mistakes to lose weight fast.