6 Tips for Keeping Slim and Trim at Your Next Party –
6 Tips for Keeping Slim and Trim at Your Next Party
As a person who used to be 238 pounds just ten years ago, I know what it like to feel anxious at social events. At parties I used to drink and eat non-stop to so I would not feel awkward. I felt so self conscious about my own body it was hard to talk to people. Over the years I have learned some healthy habits that I can share with you. These tips have saved me from returning to the plus size clothing section.
It seems like every day there is a celebration, whether it is at work, at school or holidays. We constantly have something to celebrate with a cake, a big meal, or loads of alcohol, which can seem like a never ending nightmare if you are trying to lose weight. But with some planning, every celebration can be navigated with ease. These tips are for lifelong restorative eating that will keep us feeling good about ourselves.
1. Bring your own veggie tray with organic, seasonal, sliced colorful vegetables. This will please everyone at the party; the host, the guests, and most importantly you. This crutch helps because celebrations are anxiety producing, and we want eat more because we are nervous. Having a filling vegetable tray can give you something to do with your hands besides drink or eat junk. The key is having a nutritious homemade dip that is filled with nutrients, not inflammatory oils such as soybean corn and canola oil. See my quick easy veggie dip below.
2. Make yourself a bubble water such as seltzer or San Pellegrino, and add a lime or some mint. No one will know you’re not drinking a gin and tonic. You can have a virgin Bloody Mary if that is your speed. You can also stash some stevia packets in your purse and throw it into some herbal tea, cold or hot, which is ideal to keep you from going for that sugary soda or a poison filled diet drink. Another tip is to make your own lemonade with lemon or limes and stevia.
This refreshing drink will keep you hydrated so you won’t feel the need to reach for sugary daiquiris or margaritas. If you do decide to drink, know that alcohol causes blood sugar highs and lows so that shortly after you drink a drink you will be prowling for some chips, bread, or cookies. This is not about will power; it is about chemistry. You can not overcome it. Alcohol is the HOV lane to pig-out town. That being said, some alcoholic choices will have less impact than others. Choose wine which has 5 carbs per glass over more sweet drinks. If you want hard liquor then beware of mixers which contain tons of sugar. Choose lemons, limes or oranges to squeeze into your drink. A splash of juice may be okay if it is just a couple of tablespoons.
3. When at a party, make a plate and sit down and eat it like you would at home. Chew each bite slowly (20-30 times) and carefully and then be done. This way your brain will know you ate a meal. Then avoid going back or hovering around the table. If you do have to eat more, go for the veggie tray you made and you will not wake up with regret the next day.
4. Stick with protein first so you can be full and focused to ward off other temptations. Every party has something you can eat; at Thanksgiving it is turkey, Christmas it is ham, enjoy that BBQ on the Fourth of July, and at weddings they have roast beef and shrimp cocktail. I have rarely been to a party where I could not lock eyes on some deviled eggs awaiting destruction.
5. Go for healthy fats like salmon, avocados, unsweetened nuts, cheeses, pate, salami and olives. Foods like these will round out your meal and keep you satisfied for hours. These foods feed your brain and nervous system. A leading cause of depression is a lack of essential fat in the diet.
6. Now time for dessert. You will be feeling so in control because you ate a primal meal you won’t even budge when the food pushers and enablers start in on you. Cake, pies and cookies will have lost their unrelenting power. You will be able to sip on a decaf coffee with coconut milk. You can have some berries with raw cream if you like or just wait it out with a deep breath. It has been thoroughly tested by yours truly that desert never lasts more than fifteen minutes. Now you can go home happy and sleep soundly, indigestion free. If you need a treat, stash some 80% dark chocolate bar in your purse to get through the tough times!
Guilt Free Party Dip:
2 cups artichoke hearts
1 clove peeled garlic
1/2 red onion
handful of cilantro
1 large avocado
1 large lemon squeezed
2 tbsp ground golden flax
Put all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until blended.
Serve with your favorite veggies for a crowd pleaser every time.
This is a great book that can help you have a sustainable lifestyle plan that will keep you slim and trim.
This book so great because it is easy to read, logically laid out and full of hints and tips the whole way.