Low Carb Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars Recipe (Paleo and Dairy Free)
I saw a similar recipe for chocolate chip cookie bars online but it was not gluten free by any stretch of the imagination. I thought I would see if I could change it to make it Paleo, dairy free and offer a nut free modification. This recipe is also low carb friendly when made with a low carb granulated sweetener, such as Swerve. I made them for my husband and he was very excited because he is still doing the keto diet, find his plan here. I also gave them to my family who are always eager taste testers. They loved them and asked for more. My husband said they reminded him of granola or cereal bars which in my book is a good thing because I used to be a cereal addict in my former life, pre-hashimoto’s and Paleo. I hope you love them. Please write me and let me know how they turn out for you.
Low Carb Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line the bottom of a 9″x13″ pan with parchment.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut oil and flax seeds until well combined.
- Evenly press the mixture into to bottom of the 9″x13″ pan.
- Bake the crust for 10-15 minutes until firm.
- Remove it from the oven and place the chopped nuts over the crust and spread the chocolate chips over the nuts.
- Add the coconut shreds over the top.
Mix the sweetener into the coconut milk and pour the mixture evenly over the coconut shreds.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until light brown on top and the centre is set.
- Cool on the counter for 20 minutes and then in the refrigerator for 40 minutes.
- Cut the bars into desired sized squares.
- Keep in the refrigerator for one week or individually wrap and freeze.
For a nut-free version: Use sunflower seed meal instead of almond flour and use toasted pumpkin seeds in place of walnuts.
For paleo version: Use 1/4 cup coconut sugar in place of the swerve.