How to Cook the Perfect Indoor Steak –
My husband is a chef and he taught me how to cook the perfect steak so I wanted to share it with you. As a nutrition consultant I see people eating lots of white breast chicken and fake soy burgers. But I urge you to re-think your low fat menu ideas! It is okay to eat beef again and I think we have shunned this super food for far too long. Most of the studies that show beef is bad for heart health have been done using genetically modified corn-fed, confined, antibiotic filled cows. 100% Grass fed beef on the other hand has healthy omega-3’s and fat burning CLA. Read more about the benefits of grass fed beef here.
How to Cook the Perfect Indoor Steak
1 12-16 oz Ribeye or New York Strip (make sure to get one with some marbling, especially grass fed)
1 Tablespoon ghee, beef fat or bacon fat
1 teaspoon sea salt (my favorite is Real Salt)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Coat the steak with real salt and pepper on both sides
- Let it sit for about 20 minutes until it is room temperature.
- Turn your oven on to 400 to get it warmed up
- On the stove top, turn your burner on high and melt meat fat in this Cast Iron Skillet
- When the fat has melted and is sizzling, sear your steak on each side for one minute
- Then place the whole frying pan in the oven for three to 7 more minutes depending on your desired meat temperature
- Use your finger and touch the outside to figure out the temperature
- I always pull it out before I think it is done, because you can not go back!
- Let the steak rest for 1-3 minutes after removing from the oven.
- Serve, slice and enjoy.
- Rare: Red, cool to warm center and the meat will be soft and spongy: 3 minutes
- Medium rare: Red, warm center and the meat will have a springy firmness: 5 minutes
- Medium: Hot, pink center and the meat will be less springy than medium rare: 7 minutes