Are you wondering which fats and oils are healthy? Vegetable oil and especially the darling of the health food industry soybean and canola oil are oxidized by their high heat processing. Their oil also causes inflammation in the blood vessels when it is consumed even in small amounts.
These seems to be a lot of confusion about which fats are healthy to use in the kitchen. It can be really simple if you ask yourself these three questions:
Which Fats and Oils Are Healthy? Canola oil and Vegetable oil are not as health promoting as you may think.
How to choose fats and oils:
Ask yourself these simple questions:
- Is this fat minimally processed and/or can I make it in my own kitchen?
- Was this food eaten by my ancestors?
- Does this fat or oil taste good by itself?
Which fats and oils to eat:
- Coconut oil
- Organic Grass fed butter
- Ghee/ clarified butter
- Grass fed beef tallow
- Pastured Duck fat/ chicken fat
- Lard From pastured pigs
- Organic Pastured Soy-free Eggs
- Palm oil (make sure to research a sustainable source, like this)
Eat but don’t heat:
- Cold pressed olive oil
- Cold pressed sesame oil
- Cold pressed walnut oil
- Organic Macadamia Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Flax oil (never heat!!)
- Nut and seeds
Which to avoid:
- Corn oil
- Rice Bran oil
- Canola oil
- Soybean oil
- Cottonseed oil
- Safflower oil
- Grape seed oil
- Most commercial salad dressing-read the lable
- Low fat butter spreads/spritzers
- Cooking Spray’s-Pam
- Blended olive oils-used in many restaurants to cut costs
Reasons to avoid factory fats:
- Oxidized during high heat processing, which creates pro-aging free radicals
- They increase inflammation and cardiovascular disease risk
- Made are from genetically modified seeds which have never been tested but deemed safe by Monsanto
- Toxic chemicals and detergents are used to get the oil out of the seeds
- Bleached and deodorized to make the product palatable
- Increase gut irritation and permeability opening the door for autoimmune diseases
- Increase weight gain because they have appetite stimulating compounds
Look here for a great chart on fats and oils:
10 Keto Diet Mistakes
Avoid these 10 Keto Mistakes to lose weight fast.