This Keto Pecan Pie Recipe could change your life!
In my past, Thanksgiving was a time for family, wearing new winter sweaters, and overeating. Now, I work hard to make smarter choices, set myself up for success by not STARVING going into Thanksgiving dinner. “I will eat again,” I tell myself, “this isn’t my last meal.” But also, ever since I incorporated more fat into my diet, Thanksgiving isn’t all that exciting anymore.
I probably eat more fat on a normal day than I ate in my weight watchers’ low-fat-is-best days when I was younger. Plus, using Swerve or stevia alternative sweeteners in recipes helps provide a sweet treat every once and awhile without all the sugar and the blood sugar spike hangover.
But also, ever since I incorporated more fat into my diet, Thanksgiving isn’t all that exciting anymore. I probably eat more healthy fat on a normal day than I ate in my weight watchers’ low-fat-is-best days when I was younger. Plus, using Swerve or stevia alternative sweeteners in recipes helps provide a sweet treat every once and awhile without all the sugar and the blood sugar spike hangover.
When working on this recipe, I was trying to figure out how to get the caramel flavor that you get from the traditional use of Dark Karo Syrup or Brown Sugar. I experimented with Browned Butter, it was PERFECT. Browned butter gives a depth of flavor and caramel notes that complement the pecans to make a nice addition to the holiday table, without the sugar or carbs! I also added a 1/2 teaspoon of molasses to add a little extra caramel flavor to the pie, it was wonderful, but it is optional as it does add a nominal amount of carbs to the recipe.
Keto Pecan Pie Recipe
Prep Time: 30- 45 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Serves: 6-8 pieces
¾ cup hazelnut or pecan meal/flour (almond flour will work)
1/3 cup coconut flour (find it here)
½ cup coconut oil, lard, or palm shortening, at room temperature (find my favorite here)
1 cup butter or ghee (order here)
1 cup Swerve, confectioners version (order here) (1 cup coconut sugar will also work, order here)
1 cup unsweetened full-fat coconut milk (my favorite here)
3 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of unsulfured molasses (optional, find it here)
To Make Crust:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease a 9-9.5 inch pie pan. In a medium bowl, mix all of the ingredients for the crust. Press the dough into the bottom of the pie pan and up the sides. If you want to make the pie pretty, make sure to pinch the sides or press the tines of a fork around the edges to make a nice texture.
- Pre-bake the crust in the oven for 15-17 minutes or until lightly toasted golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
To Make the Filling:
Important: You will need to work fast in the first few stages of making the filling, so make sure you have you have the coconut milk, butter, and sweetener close by and pre-measured. You will need to work fast so the filling doesn’t burn.
- Heat butter on high heat in an enameled cast-iron or heavy-bottomed saucepan that holds 2-3 quarts, whisking consistently to make sure butter heats evenly.
- When the butter starts boiling, watch for brown streaks at the bottom of the pan as you whisk or brown flecks, you have BROWN BUTTER. It will burn fast, so when you start to see brown remove it from the heat immediately.
- As soon as it is off heat, add the Swerve and the coconut milk to the pan and whisk until smooth. Let the sauce cool in the pan, whisk every 5 minutes until ready to put in pie crust so it’s doesn’t settle.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the cooled syrup, vanilla, salt, molasses, and the chopped pecans. Pour into the crust and top with the remaining cup of pecan halves. Bake at 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until set. Cover edges of pie with aluminum foil so they don’t burn. This is a nut and coconut flour crust, so the edges will be darker than regular wheat crust appearance.
Nutrition Info: Calories: 514 , Protein: 7 g , Fat: 53 g , Total Carbs: 32.5 (mostly from Swerve) g , Net Carbs: 3.4 g, Fiber: 4.1 g (nutrition facts based on 8 servings).
10 Keto Diet Mistakes
Avoid these 10 Keto Mistakes to lose weight fast.