My friend Diana Rodgers of the Sustainable Dish blog has just released her new cookbook – The Homegrown Paleo Cookbook and it is a masterpiece! I met Diana at a conference in 2011 and we have been friends ever since. Diana is a nutritionist living on a working farm in Boston, she is also studying to be a Registered Dietitian. She is a wife to a full time farmer, mom of two, cross fitter, multimedia producer, author and sustainability champion…she does it all!
The Homestead Meets The Paleo Diet: Book Review and Giveaway
The Homegrown Paleo Cookbook has 100+ paleo recipes and a whole lot of knowledge. Diana makes a case for sustainable paleo living and then goes on to show you step by step and in order how its done. She helps you understand how food is produced, from raising chickens to container gardening, cooking with the seasons, living sustainably and everything in between. Even learn how to start a fire in this encyclopedia of homesteading and healthy cooking!
The beautiful photography draws you into her world – her personal model of sustainable paleo living. Fun fact – all the shots were taken using film! After going through the book I can really see all of Diane’s passions weaved throughout the book: family, farming, sustainability, nutrition and so much more.
– 100+ seasonal Paleo recipes
– guides to growing your own food and raising animals (have you always wanted to keep bees? Maybe chickens?)
– how-to’s for crafts and entertaining (clam bake anyone?)
– practical tips and instructions that will get you on the right path to living sustainably at whatever level you are comfortable with.
– detailed index – once you’ve read the book cover-to-cover you will want to use it as a guide
Diana has graciously given me permission to share a recipe out of the book. I want to share her Cinnamon Beef and Sweet Potato Hash. Enjoy!
…also…don’t forget to scroll all the way to the bottom of this post, I am giving away one copy of The Homegrown Paleo Cookbook and Mediterranean Paleo Cooking!
Cinnamon Beef and Sweet Potato Hash – Recipe
1 tablespoon ghee
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and shredded (about 2 1/2 cups)
1 pound ground beef
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1 roasted red bell pepper, diced
4 cups chopped kale
1 tablespoon coconut aminos or wheat-free tamari
Sea salt and ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
1. In a large skillet, warm the ghee over medium heat. Add the shredded sweet potato and sauté for 10 minutes.
2. Add the beef, onion, garlic, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, coriander, and red pepper flakes. Sauté until the beef is cooked, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the red bell pepper, kale, and coconut aminos . Sauté until the kale is wilted, about 3 minutes.
4. Season to taste with salt and pepper and garnish with the cilantro.
Is your mouth watering yet? This looks delicious right?
Are you ready to order your copy of The Homegrown Paleo Cookbook?