Avoiding genetically modified organisms is a top priority for optimal health. These new untested foods were introduced by biotech companies in the 1990’s without long term testing. The public was not notified and there was obviously no labeling in stores. Genetically modified foods are different from hybridization because new novel organisms, not normally found in nature are created. An example would be fish DNA inserted into the DNA of a tomato which is something our bodies may have a reaction to and create long term side effects.
If you are having health issues that are cropping up then it is a good idea to try a GMO elimination diet. A Paleo diet is a great starting place for helping to avoid GMO’s because most of the processed foods are high in genetically modified foods. Learn more from the esteemed nutrition expert Melissa Diane Smith on this informative podcast episode.
Listen on iTunes HERE
Listen on Stitcher here.
Melissa Diane Smith, Author, Holistic Expert and Health Speaker:
Melissa Diane Smith is a leading authority on how to use food as medicine for a wide variety of health conditions. She is the author of the new cutting-edge book Going Against GMOs and the internationally recognized author of the groundbreakingGoing Against the Grain: How Reducing and Avoiding Grains Can Revitalize Your Health and the companion guide Gluten Free Throughout the Year. She also is the author of User’s Guide to Preventing and Reversing Diabetes Naturally and the coauthor of the national bestseller Syndrome X: The Complete Nutritional Program to Prevent and Reverse Insulin Resistance.
Melissa is a holistic nutrition expert who specializes in:
- grain-related conditions, including gluten sensitivity, celiac disease, other autoimmune diseases, and grain allergies and addictions;
- sugar- and insulin-related health conditions, including excess weight, metabolic syndrome, polycystic ovary syndrome, diabetes and pre-diabetes;
- the health risks of unnatural, laboratory created genetically modified foods.
- Melissa’s health journey, developing chronic fatigue syndrome while eating a Standard American Diet full of GMO grains and such foods, seeing 8 doctors with no results, trying various diets and eventually dropping grains.
- therapeutic diets can’t be addressed without addressing GMO’s and the dramatic changes that have been made to our food system
- The difference between selective breeding and genetically modified organisms
- Most common GMO’s have herbicide in them
- Corporations through GMO’s are taking over our food system
- Long term rat study with GMO’s
- International Agency for Research in Cancer has deemed glyphosate a probable carcinogen .
- Roundup and its lasting impacts on human health and the state of our environment
- genetically modified corn and allergic reactions
- Client Marsha already eating gluten free still sick – when she removed GMO’s her health improved and she saved $7000 in medical expenses in her 1st year of avoiding GMO’s.
- Getting back to organic foods to regain our health
- anaphylaxis vs. food sensitivities that accumulate over time and seem to be a part of fibromyalgia, infertility.
- Your body doesn’t have a change to recover on the Standard American Diet of wheat, corn and soy 3x’s a day.
- Common knowledge regarding GMO is still very vague, most people don’t see them as a problem.
- Going Paleo automatically eliminates most GMO’s (corns, wheat, soy)
- Next generation of GMO’s whole foods apple, potatoes, zucchini and yellow squash
- Pesticide companies claims to increase yields and “feed the world” through GMO’s are false.
- Grocery shopping to avoid GMO’s – buy organic as much as possible, avoid the inner isles, organic pastured raised sources of meats, shop farmers markets as much as possible, ask your farmer questions.
- organic foods system is a grassroots movement, use your purchasing power to support products that are in line with the non-GMO movement.
- General goal is to replace grains with organic vegetables
- Milk products: consume organic grass fed dairy. Conventional dairy cows are fed GMO’s and infected with hormones.
You can find all of Melissa’s work on her website HERE and you can buy Melissas book Going Against the Grain: How Reducing and Avoiding Grains can Revitalize Your Health HERE.
If you liked this podcast here are a few more articles you will enjoy:
5 Easy Ways to Avoid Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO’s) at the Grocery Store
Understanding Nutrition Facts and Labels when Choosing Healthy Foods
6 Crucial Reasons to Buy Healthy Organic Meat and Vegetables at the Store