Do you wonder about which foods are best for getting pregnant and having a healthy baby. I have been thinking a lot about fertility lately and me and my husband are getting to the point where we want a baby soon. For the past several years I have been working on including plenty of these fertility foods into both of our diets. The human body and brain is made of healthy saturated fats and proteins so if we are going to create a new life it is important to provide these foods in abundance to signal that it is time to procreate. It is important that the majority of your diet consist of these types of food listed below so that there will be adequate raw materials for conception and pregnancy.
8 Fertility Foods:
1. Grass Fed Butter: has something called activator X discovered by Dr. Weston A. Price on his worldwide study of traditional cultures during the 1930’s who were mostly free of western disease and cavities. Factor X is fat soluble nutrient that aids in mineral absorption for increased fertility. In remote native cultures this butter was reserved during the spring and fall especially for people of childbearing age. Saturated animal fat like grass fed butter Organic Grass Fed Butter is vital for balancing reproductive hormones and virility.
2. Egg Yolks– are high in fat soluble vitamin K which is very important in forming healthy bones, quick blood clotting, and regulated menstrual cycles. Egg Yolks are a vital source of choline which helps with memory and learning. Organic Soy-free Eggs yolks improve healthy liver function by clearing excess fat from the liver and choline supplements are commonly given to people with liver problems. Egg yolks are full of energizing B-vitamins and muscle building amino acids. They are very easy to digest and have been compared to breast milk for their high nutritional value. They also have a great deal of zinc and magnesium which is important for a healthy immune system. According to Dr. Campbell-Mcbride 85% of blood cholesterol come from dietary processed carbohydrates and sugars not fat which means that people who regularly eat egg yolks have a lower risk of heart disease and Atherosclerosis.
3. Coconut oil– is very good for thyroid function which is vital for regulating hormones and ovulation cycles. Coconut oil also helps with increasing insulin sensitivity which is very important for increasing the likelihood of pregnancy and reducing the occurrence of gestational diabetes. Also coconut oil is easily burned by the body giving you quick energy while it reduces belly fat stores. It also increases the immune system helping you fight off colds, flu’s and infections which can keep you from getting pregnant if your body is under too much stress. This is my favorite brand of Virgin Coconut Oil.
4. Liver and other organ meats– are high in vitamin E which are high in antioxidants to fight free radicals caused by pollution and stress. Also Vitamin E from liver helps regulate cysts, abnormal periods and infertility in prospective mothers. Vitamin E also helps with circulation, tissue maintenance and healing all of which are very important for creating a new life. Another important B-vitamin is folate which is highest in Calf’s liver and is vital for a hardy intestinal lining. Many times people with problems getting pregnant also have digestive issues so it is a good idea to heal the gut to improve fertility by eating lots of liver rich in folate. You can see my pate recipe here.
5. Wild Salmon: has over 250% of the RDA for vitamin D which is extremely important for absorption of calcium. Wild salmon also has over 60% of the recommended omega-3’s and including DHA and EPA which are critical for brain health in mom and baby. Just 4 oz of salmon provide 60% of the RDA of selenium which supports proper thyroid hormone production for regular cycles and appropriate body temperature.The selenium in wild salmon helps protect against the mercury that may be in the fish and according to Chris Kresser we should eat a pound of fatty fish per week such as sardines, herring and wild salmon.
6. Grass Fed Beef/ Lamb/ Buffalo: Grass-fed Ground Beef is an excellent source of energizing B vitamins including folate which is vital for preventing birth defects. Grass fed Ruminants are rich in selenium which helps in the production of antioxidant glutathione which is important to for the thyroid which regulates ovulation. Grass fed meats also contain a great amount of zinc important for preventing stretch marks, providing blood sugar balance and an improved metabolic rate.
7. Bone Broth: is a rich source calcium but also magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, sulphur and trace minerals that are vital for creating a healthy new life. Broth has been used to for centuries to help babies alleviate digestive problems and colic. The French have long believed in the healing power of gelatin rich broth for many chronic diseases. Ancient South American proverbs tell that broth will even decrease the pain of childbirth. Click here for my recipe. If you dont have enough time you can use this Great Lakes Unflavored Gelatin that is a great source of collagen and protein.
8. Sauerkraut and other fermented vegetables: When mothers have been eating a standard American diet, taking antibiotics, and on hormonal contraception it is common to have an imbalance of beneficial flora. This dysbiosis in the gut will cause cravings for sugary foods and rancid fats (cookies and chips) which are not good raw materials for making babies. Our stomach acid and enzymes can also be compromised from a lifetime of eating bread, pasta or cereal. Eating bitter foods like raw sauerkraut or kim-chee will improve digestive function so we can more get more nutrients for increased fertility and a healthy pregnancy (order here).
9. Essential Oils: There are a lot of essential oils that help support healthy hormones such as progessence. Also using them around the home to clean such as lemon and thieves can keep chemicals off your skin that can slow down detox organs. Also you can make your own lotions and perfumes out of natu
ral plant oils such as lavender and tangerine. You can help with manage stress with stress away blend Order here.