Top 5 Ways to Heal Your Leaky Gut
Do you have Leaky Gut Syndrome?
If you suspect you may suffer from leaky gut (and it is more common that you might think), first thing you can do is work with a practitioner to pinpoint any possible causes such as those mentioned above. If there is a yeast overgrowth or infection, unfortunately only changing your diet may not be enough. However, dietary changes are a key step as well as some safe herbs and supplements. Keep in mind that for severe cases of leaky gut, working with a knowledgeable practitioner to develop a personalized, therapeutic protocol for both diet and supplementation may be the best choice.
Top 5 Steps You Can Take To Heal Your Leaky Gut:
1. Undergo an elimination diet, cutting out irritating foods for one month and then slowly reintroducing one at a time to discover food sensitivities. I have a one month elimination diet program I sell and guides you through this process on your own, or you can research how to do it safely and effectively. The most common food allergens you’ll want to eliminate include corn, soy, gluten, dairy, eggs, alcohol, sugar and (in most cases) all grains for a month or 6 weeks.
2. Include healing foods in your diet: First and foremost, fermented foods such as raw sauerkraut or kimchi, kvass, or kefir (best to stick to vegetable sources, however). Eat these every day. Also great for healing the gut and allowing you to absorb nutrients is a homemade bone broth. See a recipe I’ve shared here.
3. Take probiotics: Add these supplements and foods for about a month to reinoculate your gut with good bacteria. Depending on the level of damage this may not be enough, but could very well help with repair and assimilation of nutrients. I like this brand of professional grade probiotics.
4. Check for gut infections/ parasites: Determine if you have a bacterial or parasitic infection or yeast overgrowth. Fortunately, there are some great labs that provide at home testing and working with a professional to create a supplementation protocol to kill these bugs will go a very long way in healing your leaky gut in the long term. Also important to test cortisol levels, as this hormone largely regulates our gut immunity via Secretory IgA. See more info here
5. Take gut healing supplements: Supplementing with L Glutamine which is key to gut health and helps with sugar cravings. Another helpful supplement is DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice), which can help immensely with strengthening the mucosal lining of the stomach and intestines.
Be Sure to Pin it:
A great book I recommend to help heal your leaky gut is:
10 Keto Diet Mistakes
Avoid these 10 Keto Mistakes to lose weight fast.