Pumpkin Nutrition Facts and Low Carb Grain Free Paleo Porridge –
Before I was on Paleo I had a major oatmeal addiction and that is the one food that I do sort of miss. One problem with oatmeal is that it is contaminated with gluten during processing. Oatmeal is very hard for the body to break down and can block absorption of essential minerals and vitamins leading to chronic disease. Also toxic molds grow on grains during storage which are carcinogens. This warm grain free pumpkin dish will fill you with hearty goodness to get through your day.
Pumpkin Nutrition Facts and Low Carb Grain Free Paleo Porridge
Reasons to eat more pumpkin:
- Pumpkin is healthy vegetable that is available in the fall at your local farmers market
- Rich in anti-oxidants lutein, zeaxanthin, and beta-cryptoxanthin that are anti-aging
- Rich in Beta Carotene which must be converted to Vitamin A in the body, most people have poor conversion. Real vitamin A only comes from animal foods.
- Good source of blood pressure lowering potassium
- Low in Carbs: 1 cup of cooked pumpkin has 12 carbs and 3 grams of fiber
- Provides 1/3 of the daily value of detoxifying Vitamin C
- Great for post workout snack/meal with protein and fat
- Good source of magnesium needed for healthy a metabolism and toned muscles
- Good source of fiber that is easily digested unlike grains and beans
- Rich in phosphorus which is synergistic with calcium for good bones and teeth
I love making Low Carb Grain Free Paleo Porridge for breakfast and it helps when I know the Pumpkin Nutrition Facts which are so favorable. I know you will enjoy this dish too because it will remind you of the days when you used to eat oatmeal!
1 15 oz can of Organic Pumpkin or 2.5 cups of fresh baked (always get fresh when in season)
3 tbsp coconut butter or 1/2 can coconut milk
1 cup water (use 1/2 cup water if using canned coconut milk)
1 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
2-3 soy free eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp sliced almonds (optional)
1/4 cup shredded coconut
Real salt to taste
Stevia or honey, to taste (optional, leave off stevia and honey for 21dsd version)
Add the shredded coconut to the bottom of a saucepan and stir until it is slightly toasted. Add the pumpkin, coconut cream and water and warm over medium heat and stir with a wisk. Once the pumpkin is a little bit warm add the beaten eggs and keep stirring. Once the mixture starts to bubble and thicken turn off the burner. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and sweetener. Pour into a bowl and top with desired toppings such as sliced almonds, cinnamon, and coconut shreds.
Looking for more Paleo friendly recipes?
Will 2014 be the year you finally clean out your pantry and ditch processed food-like products? My blogger bestie buddy Karen Sorenson of Living Low Carb…One Day at a Time has released her cookbook Squeaky Clean Paleo! This e-cookbook is perfect for those looking to make over their diet, with over 100 recipes it is sure to help you get the New Year started right.
– 100+ recipes, perfect for low carb, paleo, primal, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, casein free, and GAPS diets
– Complete Index for easy to find recipes by ingredients and carb counts (she is after all Living Low Carb…One Day At A Time)
– Whole 30 & 21-Day Sugar Detox friendly recipes
– Beautiful pictures that draw you into the kitchen for some Paleo cooking
– Nutritional information including carb counts
Here is a picture of Karen’s Pulled Pork Frittata and Fish Tacos, quick, easy and delicious to top it off!
Karen divides her cookbook into easy to follow sections: breakfast, soups & salads, poultry, red meat, pork, seafood, sides, dressings, sauces, spices and snacks. It’s set up in a way that’s practical and super easy to follow. Since preparation is the key to success…Karen starts off by telling you how to stock your pantry. Once you have the right tools and ingredients just follow the yellow brick road of Paleo deliciousness that Karen has laid out for you.
Who would love this book:
– New year resolution seekers
– Paleo followers that are bored
– If you like simple yet detailed instructions for delicious yet easy to make foods
– Those of you looking to clean up your diet
– Sugar or Carb addicts looking to reform
If you’re not convinced yet, check out a sneak preview of Squeaky Clean Paleo HERE.
Friends, let 2014 be the year you achieve health, throw out the scale and focus on nutrient dense food and you’ll get there in no time.
You can buy Squeaky Clean Paleo here: