1. It is super cheap, even free is some cases! This is where fat phobia pays off. Many butchers are literally throwing this gold away because most people are thinking that avoiding animal fat will keep them thin and healthy. Think again! Always make sure you are are eating 100% organic, grass fed, pastured animals when you do eat beef fat because many toxins are stored in grain fed animal fat.
2. Grass fed beef fat contains a powerful fat burner called Conjugated Linoleic Acid that is sold as a supplement at vitamin stores for ridiculous prices. CLA has been proven to reduce body fat and increase lean muscle mass. There is 300-500% more CLA in grass fed animals than in corn fed animals. The CLA pills sold supplement stores are made from Safflower oil which is likely oxidized and rancid so it is much better to get CLA from heat-stable grass fed animal fat.
3. CLA has been shown in many studies to lower cancer risk and reduce malignant tumors in mice.
4. CLA has been shown in studies to be anti-inflammatory and protective against heart disease.
5. Researchers have found that CLA reduced symptoms of inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn’s.
|Make sure to use 100% grass fed beef fat|
Where to get Suet/ Beef Fat:
On Sunday I got invited to hang out with a Facebook friend who is now a real life friend named Kate Karo, a fellow nutritionist. We met up at the Marin Farmers Market that is from 8am to 1 pm at the Marin Civic Center. I got there about 12:30pm when it was ending which is a great time to get last minute deals. I scored 5 pounds of free grass fed beef fat/ or suet for free from Stemple Creek Ranch! It sat in the fridge for a few days while I contemplated what to do with it. Finally I asked all my buddies on my Grass Fed Girl Page Facebook page how to render beef tallow and I followed their knowledgeable advice. You can find a local farm in your area at EatWild.com or you can order online from a great company like US Wellness Meats.
How to Make Beef Tallow
1. Trim all the meat off the fat (so funny to tell you to throw the meat away and keep the fat). Cut into small 1 inch pieces. Put the fat into stainless steel pot about half way full. I forgot to cut it up into small pieces so I may have missed out on some of the fatty goodness.
|Beef suet before rendering|
2. Turn the burner on medium low and stir a little every 10 minutes to make sure all of the pieces are getting heated and not burned.
3. Just let it reduce until the chunks mostly melt after about 15-30 minutes of simmering.
4. Pour the liquid into a glass jars or glass containers and compost the remaining chunks. You can also make soap or use it as water repellent on your animal skin (for real cavemen only).
5. Leave in the fridge or in a cabinet for easy use. It will turn white when cooled but it will melt again when heated.
6. Just scoop out what you need whenever you are cooking meat, eggs, or veggies. Do not over think it. Beef fat is a super safe and stable cooking fat for all your needs.
|Finished beef tallow ready to go!|
What are some recipes you have made using beef fat?