11 Simple Ways to Lower Blood Pressure Naturally
Many people are warned to reduce salt to control blood pressure but current scientific literature is highlighting that controlling overall inflammation will have a bigger impact. For best results cut back on refined sugars, flours and rancid oils such a soybean and canola oil. Enjoy a diet closer to what your ancestors would have eaten including pastured animals, wild fish, organic fruits and vegetables while watching your blood sugar return to normal range. I saw it happen in real life for scores of clients and it can happen for you too if you follow these simple tips. Get a great book about it here.
- Eat more potassium rich vegetables and low glycemic fruits such as avocados, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, cabbage, lettuces, tomatoes, and berries. Try to eat 4-6 cups per day for best results.
- Lower inflammation by eating quality fats such as grassfed organic ghee, organic grass fed butter , virgin coconut oil, olive oil (non-heated), and fat from grass fed/pastured animals.
- Lower high insulin levels which contribute to high blood pressure by eliminating sugar and grains.
- Reduce caffeine which spikes insulin and adds to stress levels.
- Avoid table salt, add sea salt instead which is full of minerals. I love this salt from ancient mines in Utah.
- Add booster foods such as fresh herbs and raw garlic to meals daily. These foods have anti-oxidants and have been proven to lower blood pressure.
- Eat more wild fatty fish such as salmon and sardines because these foods help lower risk of cardiovascular disease by reducing triglycerides in the blood.
- Eat more foods with magnesium such as pumpkin seeds, spinach, halibut, Swiss chard, sunflower seeds, shrimp, summer squash, turnip greens, seaweed, tomatoes. Magnesium helps with blood flow and lessens constriction related to hypertension. If you already have high blood pressure adding magnesium in a supplement can help. I use Natural Calm before bed to help me relax. Start out with 1/2 tsp in 1/2 cup water and work your way up to avoid loose stools.
- Avoid alcohol which can cause damage to arteries by increasing free radicals.
- Put 3-4 cups of Epsom Salt daily into the bathtub to lower stress and increase detoxification pathways in the body.
Bonus Tip: Drink about 8 cups filtered water with a lemon each day. Dehydration causes blood vessels to constrict.